I love lots of different types of quinoa salads and I can pretty much make one up on the fly by using what I have on hand, but, for those of you that prefer a recipe, my favorite is below.
What's so great about quinoa, you ask? For one, it cooks in no time! But also, it's rich in protein, fiber, iron, B2, lysine, magnesium, and maganese.
Quinoa and Black Bean Salad
- 1 C quinoa (rinsed and cooked according to package instructions)
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 1 C cooked black beans (rinsed if canned)
- 1 C corn (fresh or frozen, perferably not canned)
- 1/2 C pepper (green or any other color, finely chopped)
- 1 jalepeno chili (seeds removed, minced) or 1 T jalepeno relish, or to taste
- 1/4 C cilantro (finely chopped)
- 3 T fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 1/2 t salt, or to taste
- 1 t ground cumin, or to taste
- 1/4 C olive oil, or to taste (I skip the oil and add more lime juice on occasion).
Cook quinoa according to package instructions, top with vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside. Whisk dressing together. Add remaining salad ingredients to quinoa. Top with dressing. This can be served immediately or wait an hour for flavors to combine better.